Friday, August 24, 2012

Silver Linings

I wonder where the term, "silver linings" originated.  Maybe from a seamstress searching for a piece of thread to make things look nice.  Nowadays, the term is commonplace, and it makes me think about where I can find silver linings. 

I have been forced to find silver linings in the patchwork of life.  Each part of me is continually being stitched together by the Great Weaver, and I have no control.  Just when I think the thread is pulled tight, out come the scissors, but it's without the satisfaction of a clean break. 

It is more like a tear.  Life has torn my heart to shreds.  It has broken me down, built me up, and broken me down again.  And, sadly, I understand this is not the end of the construction work.

Jesus was a master carpenter.  He took pieces of scrap and built them into something beautiful.  Maybe something wonderful will eventually be built from this ugliness.  I am willing to stick it out.  I am a loyal apprentice. 

I try not to question life.  I try to be happy with the joy that is given to me and I try to make peace with the sorrow.  But, I am only human, and sometimes, that's very hard.  I wonder, and I ponder, and I over think the simplest of things. 

But, in the meantime, I try to love more than hate, smile more than cry, rejoice more than grieve, and live more than die. 

All I can do is try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment